All in a day's work.
My experience being a restaurant captain for today was indescribable in words, seriously.
So much stress, and always on the go; one can easily forget about how much time had passed. And when you’re feeling super tensed up with the orders and special requests from the guests, a lot of things would just run through your mind, and suddenly, everyone around seems to disappear, and all that exist are just the order form and you yourself.
Meanwhile, it is hard to get everyone to coordinate and things to go your way, as, even if your waiters, runners and bartenders are super cooperative, something annoying will pop up and get the hell out of you.
Unable to meet requests, lousy food, late service; all the things you have to answer for it, with a smile…
Seeing everyone running around, and you'd fret.
No wonder Baljit Singh always emphasize on making order out of chaos.
I only witnessed it for myself today.
Today’s preparation! Really in hurry to get things going! The centerpiece, the table arrangements, changing of dirty table cloths, missing cutlery, and last of it all, getting things all ready and presentable.
But thankfully for the fellow captains from other stations (esp Ernie and Shane) who guided me along when I was in doubt during the preparation, Ernie for the last-min eyeliner, Jundong for the tie, and fellow lecturers and chef in deciphering of the Menu of the Day!
After 12pm, the guests started to sworm in… I was really so anxious, and totally puzzled. I was trying so hard to get them seated, introduce the theme and the mocktails and cocktails, make orders, and then introduce today’s Menu, and make orders. Zzzz! And one guest even asked me to relax! LOL
But subsequently, I calmed down and things got really easier. I felt really happy to see things flowing. Thanks to my waiters (Summer and Emily), runner (Weiqi), and efficient bartenders (Louisa and Jol). Actually I felt really bad for requesting a lot, like asking the soups’ whereabouts, have they made the order, etc… Listening tentatively and with empathy to the guests requests and comments and take into notice are just part and parcel of it.
All I can say is, I had done my best… Really…
And it was scary to see how Mr ****** scolded the boyer of the kitchen. "I tell you, KEEP THE BLOODY DOOR SHUT AT ALL TIMES!" and "I hate your attitude. If I were the manager, I'd have sacked you." When the kitchen gets busy and noisy, everyone gets stressed up. In meeting the demands of both the chef and the runners, the boyer got stressed up and unnoticingly(i hope) raised her voice. and get scolded. =X
Things ended at 3plus, leaving everyone really shagged. Had a debrief session, and lecturers pin-pointed some mistakes we made. And thanks for Mr Ronald’s comment after that, telling me I was quiet, firm and steady, with a thumbs-up. It was really a confidence booster! (:
So my group commented on the process, and well, all I have to say is, a captain’s job is not easy; you can try doing it and you will get what I mean. Some things are not done, I know; but it was not because I did not want to do it. And everyone was saying like as if it was all my fault. I did not explain myself because I did not feel the need too, because I would just get rebutted. What for, right?
Dropped some tears after that; the stress was really unbearable. Imagine no one understood your feelings; no one tried to stand in your shoes. All you get were unhappy faces, complaining why you never do this, never do that, blah.
But still, I collected back my tears. I thought, nothing to cry for, all was part of the learning process, to receive negative comments and feedback.
After everything, went to Cineleisure with Jol, Dawn, JD, Aloy, and Shane for dinner. Nice chatting session over at dinner! But seeing the menu and food made me think of today’s shatec practical, and felt abit nausea. LOL
Then Shane and Dawn left, and the 4 of us went down to Taka to find Pedro as Aloy wanted to buy shoes from there, but to no avail. And went down to
And the guys could really shop! Jol and I became the guys instantly, and they the girls. Haha! And they whined more than us when we wanted to walk from
Then walked back to Dhoby Ghaut, heading back home! That’s it! =D
i never ever wanna get into F&B!


<< Home